(We open in a small apartment in an older building in New York. It consists of one large room with a small kitchen area and several other areas curtained off with faded calico sheets. There's an ancient upright piano in one corner. A couch that's missing its a lot of it's stuffing and a fat, worn chair are positioned in front of a small TV set. There's a radio on the counter in the kitchen, along with a toaster that's probably two steps from burning everything. Two shelves and a bench in a corner hold nothing but parts from various machines. A sagging book case holds books on various subjects tossed in any old way.)

*We see Slip sprawled out on the couch, sleeping soundly, despite a raging thunderstorm outside.*

(We hear a huge crack of thunder...and Sach rushes in. He wears a rain coat and rain hat and is soaked to the bone.)

Sach: Oooh, it's raining cats, dogs, and piggies out there! (Hangs his umbrella and coat on a badly tipping coat rack) Chief! Chiefy!

*Slip just rolls over.*

Sach: Chief....YIIIKKKES! (Another crack of thunder sounds. Sach jumps on the couch next to Slip and grabs hold of him) Oh Chiefy, I'm afraid!

Slip: *Eyes pop open* Wha...I'm awake, I... *Groans* SACH! Gedoffame! *He shoves Sach away.*

Sach: (Ends up on the floor) Chief, don't ya hear that thunder? It's scary!

Slip: What thunder? I been asleep, until ya woke me up!

*There's another loud crack of thunder that almost seems to make the building shake.*

Sach: That thunder!

Slip: Sach, it's just a thunderstorm! There ain't nutin' scary about it.

Sach: But it's noisy!

Slip: *Sighs* Yeah, it's noisy, but so are you, and yer not scary.

Sach: I wish the boys were here, but they're all workin'.

Slip: Wha's that s'posed ta mean?

Sach: We could all be together on a night like this. This is a scary night. Weird things happen on nights like this!

Slip: Butch ‘n Whitey are usherin’ at the movie theater, an’ Chuck's at the newspaper. You know that.

Sach: Why do they have to be workin' on a night like this?

Slip: *Shakes his head* Don't do this, Sach.

Sach: You're so lucky, Chief. You're never scared...yikes! (There's another crack of thunder. Sach jumps a mile!)

Slip: *Grabs Sach's shoulder* Calm down, wouldja?

Sach: But that was a really loud one!

Slip: Listen, I know yer scared, Sach, but I'm right here. It's just a little noisy rain storm. It ain't gonna hurtcha. An' I ain't goin' nowhere.

Sach: Really?

Slip: Really.

(Suddenly, the power goes out. Sach lets out a whimper.)

Sach: Who stole the lights?

Slip: I dunno, *audible gulp* but I wish they'd give 'em back. *Blears his throat* Okay, we're gonna be fine. Do ya remember where Whitey left the flashlight?

Sach: I think it's in the kitchen.

Slip: All the way in the kitchen, huh. (Pause; then) Ya wanna go get it?

Sach: Sure! I know where it is. (The camera follows him as he heads for the kitchen.) I guess we can't get TV now, huh? (He looks in a drawer) I thought Whitey put it here...

Slip: *Still at the couch, he's kneeling on it* Sach? Wanna hurry up a little? Where are ya, Sach?

Sach: I'm in here, Chiefy! (He holds up something) Hey Chiefy, how did my Captain Video Decoder Ring get in the kitchen drawer with all the junk?

Slip: *Groans; a little distressed* Just find the flashlight already!

Sach: Here it is! (We see a wide beam of light that illuminates Sach. He hurries over to Slip with the flashlight and shoves a large plastic ring under his nose) See my ring, Chief? I thought I'd never find this again!

Slip: *Backs off, making a face* Sach, I don't care about yer stupid ring! Gimme the flashlight! *He snatches the flashlight and darts the beam across the room frantically.*

Sach: Chief, are you afraid of the dark?

Slip: *Swings the beam over to Sach; too quickly* I ain't afraid of nutin'!

Sach: Yeah, you are. You're scared, just like me.

Slip: I ain't scared. I just really hate the dark.

*The flashlight suddenly starts to dim.*

Slip: Aw, no... *smacks the flashlight several times before it goes out completely* No, no, no...

Sach: You ok, Chief?

Slip: Okay, so I am afraid of the dark! What's it to ya?

Sach: Nuthin'. In fact, I think it's pretty normal. Most people are scared of somethin'. Just like (jumps as we hear a little thunder) I'm scared of thunder. (Thoughtful) Do you want your stuffed octopus Harry?

Slip: *Pauses; small voice* Yes.

(Sach makes his way into the actual room. When he comes out, he's holding something fat, soft, squishy, and with many legs.)

Sach: Here's Harry, Chief. I'd bring my teddy bear Pete, but he's takin' a nap.

Slip: *Hugs the octopus* Thanks, Sach. Good thing the others are workin'.

Sach: I wouldn't have suggested it if they weren’t. I know Whitey an' Butch tease you 'bout Harry. They tease me 'bout Pete, too.

Slip: Sach, when did we become 7-year-olds again?

Sach: Since thunder storms are sorta scary.

Slip: Yeah, they are. *hugs Harry the octopus to his chest* Thanks for getting Harry for me.

Sach: Sure. (He smiles as the lights come back on) Hey Chief, someone found our lights! Wanna play some cards or watch TV?

Slip: *Looks down at the octopus as his face turns about four shades of red, then turns to Sach* Wanna turn the lights back off?

Sach: Sure! It's more fun to cuddle your bear and octopus in the dark. (Frowns) Are you sure you want to?

Slip: Yeah. At least I know we can turn 'em back on when we want.

Sach: Yeah. (Grins at Slip) You know, I ain't as scared as long as I know someone's sittin' through the thunder with me.

Slip: It ain't so bad when you know ya got someone who'll go grab a stuffed animal that's nearly the same age as you because ya ain't as tough as ya think ya are.

Sach: The best way to make things less scary is to do it with a friend.

Slip: A great friend.

Sach: (Grins) Yeah. (He goes to turn out the light) Good night, Chief. (He switches off the light...and we plunge into darkness again as we fade out.)