*We begin at the boys' apartment building. We see Danny hurry up the stairs, cross the landing, and knock on the door.*

Sach: (His head pops out) Hi, Danny! Glad you're here!

Danny: Hi, Sach! What's up? Ma Kelly called saying something about your new invention.

Sach: Yeah! Come in! (He leads Danny into the Boys' apartment. Butch plays an instrumental tune on the piano. Whitey works on an old radio at his work bench. Slip is on the couch, reading,) Let me show you my latest and greatest creation!

Butch: (Stops playing and make a face) Whatever it is, Danny, don't touch it.

Slip: *His eyes follow them over his book* I wouldn't do this if I was you, Dan.

Sach: You're all just jealous. Whitey's the only other one here who's a great inventor!

*Whitey just pays more attention to his radio.*

Danny: Aw, it can't be that bad, fellas! *turns to Sach* Show me your invention.

Sach: (He leads Danny over to the kitchen, where a series of tubes and bunsen burners are set up; picks up a vial with what looks like a bubbly reddish fluid) Here it is! It'll give anyone who drinks it increased thinkin' abilities!

(We can hear Chuck's typewriter clacking away behind one of the calico cloths that separate the "rooms" in the apartment...and an amused snort.)

Danny: Really?

Butch: (Crosses his arms) Sach, the last time I drank one of your potions, you said it would make me able to play better. I did not play better. I did, however, have green hair for a week. I spent that week borrowing everyone's hats and staying inside a lot.

Sach: So I made one little mistake!

Slip: How about those "vitamins" that ended up shrinking the college Dean, hmmmm?

Sach: How about my potion that made me so strong, I was Ivy's football star that semester?

Slip: *Snorts* When you made it right.

Danny: *Makes a face* Boy, you fellas sure sound jealous.

Slip: It's yer life in yer hands. *goes back to his book*

Sach: See what I mean? (Hands him the potion) Here. Just try it.

Danny: Down the hatch! *gulps it down and hands back the vial* That's pretty good!

Sach: I added a little squirt of cherry juice at the end.

Butch: Well, Dan? How do you feel?

Danny: I can touch my nose with my tongue! See?! *does so*

Sach: You too? (He also does so)

Butch: That's great, but how do you feel?

Danny: I got an air bubble.

Sach: (Looks around) I don't see any bubbles in the air!

Butch: Danny, are you ok? You look a little weird.

Sach: He looks fine to me!

Danny: *Burps* All better! Sach, ya wanna play hopscotch with me?

Slip: *looks up* Did he just say hopscotch? :P

Sach: Sure! (Frowns) But we can't set up a hopscotch board in here! We don't have nowhere to draw one!

Butch: (He goes over to Slip) Yeah, he said Hopscotch. There's definitely something wrong here.

Danny: Awww! *pouts*

*Slip puts his book down, eyeing Danny carefully.*

Danny: *Brightens* Wanna play hide and seek?

Sach: Sure! We can do that! (Shakes his head) But don't hide near my chemistry set. The tubes break easy. And don't hide under my friend Chuck's desk. He gets mad when you hide while he's workin'.

Slip: Oh, he's completely off his trolley.

Danny: *Sings* Trolley-lolley-la!

Slip: This is ridiculous.

Butch: (Pats Danny's shoulder) Hey, that's a nice tune. I should compose a song around it.

Sach: Who wants to seek first?

Chuck: *Peeks out from his room* Don't even THINK about coming in here.

Slip: Wait a minute'ere. *gets up*

Sach: (Waves a hand at Chuck) I already told him that your desk is off limits.

*Chuck just drops the cloth.*

Slip: *Goes to Danny* What's wit' the little kid games?

Danny: I wanna play!

Sach: So do I! Do you wanna seek, Chief?

Slip: No, I don't wanna seek! I wanna know why Dan's soundin' like a little kid right after drinkin' yer invention.

*Danny's lower lip starts to tremble. He frowns.*

Sach: He sounds fine to me. (Sees Danny's lip) Aww, see what'cha did, Chiefy? You got Dan all upset! (He puts his arm around Danny) Don't worry, pal. You can lean on me. I won't yell at ya like mean ol' Chiefy.

Butch: I don't know, Sach. He is acting pretty strange, even for him.

Sach: He's fine! Right, Dan?

Danny: I gotta go potty.

Slip: *Growls* Saaaaach...

Sach: I can't help it if the guy has to go! (Points out the door) It's first door on your left when you go down from our place. You can't miss it.

Danny: Outta my way! *runs in the direction Sach pointed*

Slip: *Scowls* Sach, c'mere. *motions with his index finger for Sach to join him*

Sach: (Goes to Slip) Yeah, Chiefy?

Slip: You just turned him into a little kid!

Sach: I think I like him better this way. He's a lot of fun!

Butch: Sach, he's not a real kid!

Slip: I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...he's a man!

Sach: Yeah, and?

Slip: He ain't s'posed ta be actin' like a six year old!

Sach: But he's havin' so much fun bein' a kid!

Slip: Sach, it ain't right! Do you wanna be the one to tell Kathy her boyfriend's now six years old?

Sach: (Sighs) Yeah. Kathy really likes him.

Slip: Well?

Sach: Yeah, I'll work on an antidote.

Butch: By the way, where is Danny? The bathroom isn't that far down the hall.

Sach: He must have really had to go.

Slip: This just gets better an' better.

Sach: Maybe we oughta go look for him. He doesn't know this buildin' well.

Slip: So help me, Sach... *heads out*

Butch: I'll help the Chief. Sach, you stay here and work on the antidote.

Sach: (Nods) All right. (He returns to the chemistry set)

(Cut to the hall. Butch makes for the bathroom and runs into Slip on the way there.)

Butch: Did you find him?

Slip: No, I didn't. Where could he have gone?

Butch: I wish I knew. Most of the tenants keep their doors locked. This is New York. I doubt he's in anybody's apartment. (Thinks) Maybe he went downstairs.

Slip: C'mon. We gotta find him.

(Cut to the kitchen seen in some of the later Sach-Duke movies. Slip and Butch arrive just in time to see Ma Kelly give Danny three chocolate chip cookies.)

Ma Kelly: Hi there, boys! I thought you were all busy doin' work in your room.

Butch: Hi, Ma. You found Danny!

Ma: He found me. He came in here while I was finishin' these cookies an' kept askin' me if he could have a few, please? He was so cute, I couldn't resist. (Grins and holds out a cookie jar shaped like a glass of milk with a cookie in it) You boys want some, too? And take a couple for your buddies. Just don't tell Sach. He'll come down here an' eat the whole thing.

Slip: Sach don't deserve cookies right now.

Ma: Did he blow somethin' up again? I didn't feel the buildin' rock.

Slip: No, but he fed one of his inventions to Danny here, and we think it's had a bed effect on him.

Ma: He seemed ok. Maybe a little whiny...

Danny: *Looks up* I'm not whiiiney!

Slip: Not much.

Butch: (He sits down with Danny, taking two cookies from the jar) Danny, you should have come right back to our room when you were done in the bathroom. That was bad.

Danny: *Frowns again* But...I... *His lower lip starts to tremble again.*

Slip: This is gettin' old real fast.

Danny: *Wails* I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

Slip: *Clamps his hands over his ears; groans* Make 'im stop!

Ma: (Over Danny's wailing; pulls out a cookie) Want another cookie, son?

Danny: *shakes his head, still crying* No!

Butch: Wanna come back upstairs? I'll let you play the piano with me!

Danny: *Wails* I don't wanna!

Ma: Mind telling us what you wanna do then, sonny?

Danny: I don't know!

Ma: How about you just lean on ol' Ma? (She takes him in her arms) You can cry on my shoulder. I've had boarders and crime victims do it dozens of times.

*Danny does just that.*

Ma: There there. What's got you all upset, anyway? Anybody bein' mean to ya?

*Danny shakes his head.*

Ma: (Strokes Danny's hair and says gently to him) Then what's your problem, hon? Got a boo-boo?

Danny: *Sniffles and hiccups* My tummy feels funny.

Slip: Sach's invention...

Ma: Maybe I could make you some peppermint tea. I could make some for the boys, too. That might help your tummy feel better.

*Danny nods, sniffling, and rubs an eye with the back of one hand.*

Ma: Ok there, son. (Turns to the other two) Would you two like some tea? I'm gonna make some for myself. :)

Butch: (Nods) Sure!

Slip: *Shrugs* Sure, Mrs. Kelly.

Ma: (She smiles and pats Danny on the shoulder) I'll be back in a minute. (She first takes a tin down from a shelf and plucks four tea bags from it, then fills a tea pot with water. She puts the water on the stove, turns on the burner, and lets it boil. Then she pulls out four slightly chipped blue mugs and puts the bags in them.)

Butch: Hey Dan, how do you feel now? Does your tummy still hurt? Maybe we can find you a peppermint drop to suck on when we get upstairs.

Danny: *Still sniffling, but no longer outright crying; nods* It still hurts.

*Slip snorts, shaking his head.*

Ma: (We hear the tea kettle whistle) Sounds like the water's ready. (She pours the water into the mugs) We just have to wait for it to cool for a few minutes. (She sits down next to Danny) So, son, why don't you tell me all about yourself? I've seen you visitin' the boys a lot lately, but I ain't never gotten a chance to talk to ya. I'm Mrs. Kelly, the owner of this place.

Danny: *Gives her a small smile* Hi.

Slip: *His eyebrows go up* He's suddenly shy?

Butch: Well, Ma is a woman, and you know how he is around women. I guess he's always been that way.

Ma: (Ignores the other two and brings over the tea mugs) What's your name, sonny? (Hands the boys their tea cups)

Danny: *Quietly, but still sniffling a little* Danny.

Ma: I'm Queenie, Danny. Nice to meet'cha. (Shakes his hand)

Danny: *Still quiet; blushes a little* Hi, Queenie.

Ma: You seem like a nice boy, Danny. What's all the runnin' from these two about?

Danny: *Shrugs; quietly* Dunno.

Ma: Did they scare you?

Butch: Maybe Slip.

Slip: Me? What'd I do?

Danny: *Quietly* You're loud.

Slip: I ain't loud!

Ma: Gee Slip, can we have that a little louder? They didn't hear you on the top floor.

Butch: (Pats Danny's shoulder) Don't worry, Dan. Slip's just like that. He doesn't mean to be scary. He's really a nice guy.

Slip: I came lookin' for ya, didn't I?

Danny: *Nods* Yeah.

Butch: Yeah! We're your friends!

Ma: And now, I'm your friend, too.

Danny: *Smiles a little at Ma* I like you.

Ma: I like you too, sonny. You seem to be a pretty nice boy.

Danny: *Blushes deeply* Aww...

Ma: You know, the others have to be worried about ya. Why don't you all go upstairs as soon as you finish your tea?

Butch: (Nods) Yeah.

Danny: Okay.

Butch: (Puts his cup down) I'm done. I always did like peppermint tea.

Ma: It's good for what ail's ya.

Danny: *Finishes his tea* I'm done.

Ma: Good. Now, you be a good boy for these two fine boarders of mine and go upstairs without a fuss. (Whispers to Slip) You just need to know how to handle kids, Slip my boy.

Slip: I can't even hand the overgrown ones. *sighs* Thanks, Ma.

Ma: Anytime, son. You go get that fellow upstairs.

Butch: Come on, Danny. We're going back to our room now.

Danny: Okay.

Slip: An' I'll try to be quieter, okay, kid?

*Danny nods, but he stays close to Butch. Slip gives Ma Kelly a shrugs before he follows them out.*

Butch: (As they go upstairs) Slip...do you think Danny is a little scared of you as an adult, too?

Slip: Never thought of it before, but now I'm wonderin'.

Butch: I wonder if he'd actually admit it after Sach gets him back to normal?

Slip: Only one way to find out.

(They head back into the room. Whitey and Sach run over to the trio as they enter the living room.)

Sach: Chiefy, I did it! I did it! (Hands it to Danny) Here ya go! Try it! It's cherry-flavored. It's good.

Danny: Cherry flavored?

Sach: Yeah! I even swiped the syrup from Louie's, so I know it's good!

Danny: Okay. *drinks it down fully, then burps and giggles*

Sach: Isn't it really nifty when the bubbles go up your nose?

Danny: *Nods* Yeah... *groans* ooooohh...

Butch: Danny, are you ok?

Slip: Whatsa matter, kid?

*Danny slumps in a dead faint. Slip manages to catch him before his head hits the floor.*

Slip: *Glares at Sach; quietly steaming* Saaaach...

Sach: Honest, all I put in it was Louie's cherry syrup! I can't help it if he has a bad reaction to the stuff! Yell at Louie!

Butch: Danny, are you ok?

*Danny just groans.*

Slip: Butch, help me get 'im on the couch. He's heavier than he looks.

Butch: Ok. (He takes his arms and groans) Hoo boy, are you right. How many ice cream sodas has he been eating lately?

Slip: *Grunts as they heft Danny on thec couch* Too many.

Sach: (He leans over Danny when they set him down) Danny! Danny, buddy, ol' pal, are you ok? Speak to me! (Slaps his face lightly)

Danny: *His face scrunches before his eyes open* Stop slappin' me.

Slip: You can stop, Sach.

Sach: Oop! Sorry. (Moves his hands) How do ya feel now, Dan?

Danny: Okay, I guess. I had the strangest dream, though. I dreamt I was five years old again.*chuckles a little*

Slip: Got news for ya, kid. That weren't no dream.

Danny: What?

Slip: *Turns to Sach* Care to explain to him what you did to him?

Sach: Uh, well, do you remember me giving you a drink?

Danny: Yeah. It tasted like cherry.

Sach: No, the one before that. The one I gave you an hour ago.

Danny: An hour ago? *sits up* I've been out for an hour!?

Sach: Well, no. You've been, uh, well, you've been a kid for an hour.

Danny: I...what?

Sach: You were a lot of fun, too, before you ran away from the guys.

Slip: Sach's invention did make you a five year old for the last hour. It weren't no dream, kid.

Danny: ...That was real?!

Slip: *Nods* Yeah.

Sach: Yeah, it was fun! We played a lot of great games!

Danny: *Puts his head in his hands* Oh boy.

Butch: You went to the bathroom and then just took off downstairs. (Grins) You met our landlady Ma Kelly. She really ended up liking you. She gave you peppermint tea and let you cry on her shoulder.

Slip: *Shoves his hands in his pants pockets* Cuz you said I scared you.

Danny: *Groans; leaves one hand to prop up his chin, while the other slides to his stomach* And Queenie just accepted it.

Slip: Yeah, she did.

Sach: Dan...are you scared of Chiefy? You can tell us. We won't say nuthin'.

Danny: *Looks at Slip* A little.

Slip: *Sighs* Fair answer.

Sach: How come? Chiefy's a good guy! He's been my best friend for as long as I can remember!

Danny: *Shrugs* I don't know. *groans a little* Ohhh, Sach, I think your inventions gave me indigestion.

Sach: Maybe I'll whip up another invention to help that!

Butch: I don't think that's a good idea.

Danny: *Sits up a little and waves the hand previously holding his chin; the other remains on his stomach* No, Sach, really! You don't have to do that.

Sach: (As Slip drags him back) Aww Chiefy, I wanted to help!

Slip: *Whacks Sach with his hat* No! You put the kid through enough already!

Butch: Danny...are you afraid of Slip because he's so loud?

Danny: No, I'm okay with loud, he just... *shrugs, looking at Slip again*

Butch: (Whispers to Danny) He's just so sure of himself and tough, right? He can be intimidating. I used to think of him that way when I was a kid.

*Danny nods, watching Slip whacking Sach with his hat.*

Slip: Sach, I just want ya to leave him alone. Don't make me take your test tubes away again.

Sach: Ok, ok. Geez, I'm just tryin' to help.

Butch: (Whispers to Danny) Just give Slip a chance. He has a really soft heart under all that hide. He just doesn't get to show it much.

Danny: *Nods again and whispers back* I'll try. *groans again* Ooohhh, you guys have any peppermints or something, before my stomach starts to revolt?

Butch: We have a can of peppermints in the cupboard in the kitchen...if Sach hasn't eaten them all yet.

Sach: I think there might be one or two left.

Slip: Wanna get 'em for the kid, Sach?

Sach: (Shrugs) Sure! Anyone else want some?

Slip: Nah.

Butch: I'll have one.

Sach: Ok! (He goes to the cupboard, pulls out a tin, and opens it to reveal that yes, there are only a few red-and-white-striped mints left. He pulls out the remaining handful and tosses the tin in the trash) Here ya go, fellas! (Hands one to Butch) That's for you, Butchy. (Hands half of what remains to Danny) And that's for you. (Sits down next to Danny with the rest.) And this is for me.

Danny: Thanks, Sach. *unwraps one and puts it in his mouth*

Slip: I'm gonna see how Chuck's doin' on his article. *disappears into the room*

Butch: Feeling better now, Dan?

Danny: *Shrugs* A little. I think I oughta head home and lie down.

Sach: Want one of us to walk home with ya?

Danny: Would you mind?

Sach: I'll go. All I was doin' today was workin' on my chemistry set, anyway.

Butch: (Nods) Ok. I can get back to piano practice.

Danny: *Gets up* See ya later, Butch.

Butch: (Nods) See ya! (He goes to his piano and returns to playing the piece he was playing in the beginning of the story)

Sach: (Puts his arm around Danny's shoulder as they head out) Hey Dan...wanna play hide and seek when we get to your place?

(The door closes before we can hear Danny's reply...and the camera shuts off as the door closes.)